Friday, January 29, 2010

Mary Poppins Reflection

Last night a friend and I headed to a theater in Tempe, AZ for a one night only showing of Mary Poppins.  The prospect of seeing the Disney Classic on the big screen was an exciting one.  The actual presentation ended up being a DVD projector on an old screen that utilized the theaters surround sound system but that’s not really important to the story.

What is important is that it had been so long since I had watched to original film in its entirety that last night was like watching it again for the first time.  More important that that was that I finally (after how many years?) get it!  I finally think I understand why almost all of my friends who love Disney love this movie so much.

There are of course easy things to focus on.  At it’s heart, Poppins is just a great musical.  There are memorable songs and exciting dance numbers.  The visuals are stunning, not just in the cartoonified world of the sidewalk drawings where live action blends fantastically with 2D, but in the portrayal of the city.  The rooftops, the streets, the alleyways almost look like the characters have walked into a picture book and they are perfect.  The cast is, of course, stellar.  I mean it’s Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, what’s not to like?

But watching it this time there were a couple things I picked up on that I would never have understood as a child and reasons why I think this film resonates with so many people as they grow up.  It’s the story of thinking you have everything figured out in your life and then realizing that you’ve had it all wrong, realizing that you’re missing out on what’s really important.  It’s all right there in Mr. Banks.  He’s a put together man who demands perfection, punctuality and propriety.  Once Mary Poppins enters the picture his world is thrown for a loop and finally sees what he’s been missing. (we’ll also forgive his male superiority complex right now because I could probably do a completely different piece on all that)

For the first time too I found myself really focusing on and connecting with Mary, herself.  I think I gained a new reverence for the woman.  She is at once caring and commanding; she is absolutely magical in both a figurative and literal sense but she is completely down to earth.  By that token, though she’s “practically perfect” she’s still human and easy to relate to.  I think this is showcased the best near the end of the film where she claims she won’t miss the children and doesn’t love them but it’s clear as day that she’s torn having to leave them.  Mary is really one of the more real Disney characters ever created (and a lot of that does have to do with the fabulous Julie Andrews)

I spent the film smiling pretty much the whole time.  I felt every emotion I was suppose to.  I laughed at the contagious giggles of Uncle Albert, Bert & the Children, I yawned during Stay Awake I was in awe of the rooftops of London, and I felt for Mary when the winds changed.  I walked away from the film feeling a need to sing and dance and talk in a horrid cockney accent.  I haven’t felt that good watching a film in a long time.

So to my Disney friends: I understand why you all love this movie so much.  I’m sorry for ever doubting you.  I will take it upon myself to watch it much more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment